Salary: $6,293.87 - $7,588.11 Monthly
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: Research Analyst S-21
Closing: 3/15/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
Department: Research Analyst S-21
Division: Institutional Effectiveness, Research, and Planning
Distinguishing Career Features
The Research Analyst is a professional position requiring a demonstrated ability to select, set up and execute research design, conduct advanced statistical analyses, develop assessment and evaluation tools, and present research reports that support decisions.
Collects, develops, analyzes, communicates, and consults on a wide range of institutional data and other information to support and enhance decision-making, planning, and assessment. Performs applied research by designing, implementing, and evaluating analytical and statistical studies. Designs and maintains information systems and databases to support research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts surveys and research. Participates and advises on survey design. Provides advice on research design, information resources.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of programs and services to enhance student access and success. Defines outcomes and quantitative and/or qualitative measures of performance. Develops research design and/or surveys.
- Tracks and reports student equity status and trends. Collects and reports analyses, statistics, and demographics to external agencies, secondary schools, community organizations, and other research organizations.
- Reports research results on the validity and effectiveness of assessment instruments used to place students according to academic achievement, course prerequisites, activities to improve student equity, matriculation processes, college performance on accreditation and accountability issues, student satisfaction, organizational climate, program effectiveness, enrollment management and trends.
- Facilitates discussions with academic and administrative functional areas to identify measurable and observable performance criteria to satisfy accreditation standards.
- Develops and/or facilitates design of assessment tools and measures for self assessment and program review. Designs surveys and other instruments to support data gathering.
- Develops and evaluates the validity of assessment instruments used to place students in courses by academic history, appropriateness of prerequisites, co-requisites, and advisories used to restrict access to specific course offerings.
- Develops and applies evaluation criteria and measurement methodology, analysis processes, and reporting formats.
- Performs and advises others on data reduction, statistical analysis of data, interpretation of results, and drawing of conclusions.
- Prepares and/or participates in the preparation and presentation of research reports.
- Researches a variety of sources to identify opportunities for grant resources and in-kind services to initiate and/or support research and other programs.
- May provide support to long range planning by conducting community needs assessment and environmental scanning, projecting enrollment trends and their potential impact on space, budget, staffing, and resource allocations, projecting impacts of trends in educational delivery systems, and projecting impacts of political and economic trends on course demand and supply.
- Analyzes a variety of performance/productivity data such as, but not limited to, that for faculty workload, and student outcomes. Prepares reports and projections to support decisions on workload, student success, and financial impact.
- Serves on various committees such as, but not limited to, those for strategic planning, program review, and enrollment management.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills relating to duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
The position requires specialized knowledge of higher education research methods, processes, systems, reporting and databases. Requires specialization in research methodology and standard statistical procedures such as but not limited to research design, sampling, survey-guided analysis, parametric and non-parametric statistics, correlation analysis, forecasting and projections. Requires specialized knowledge of methods in education and social research. Requires a working knowledge of student outcomes assessment and measures of institutional effectiveness. Requires basic knowledge of legislative and educational oversight body processes, occurrences, requirements, and trends. Requires working knowledge of best-practices and continuous quality improvement. Requires in-depth knowledge of, and skill at using a full range of office productivity computer software as well as computer-aided database management, statistical (e.g., SPSS, BRIO, SEAGATE) and educational modeling applications. Requires a working knowledge of relational database concepts, including logical and physical data layout, programming and report writing tools (e.g., SQL). Requires well-developed language and writing skills to prepare professional and influential proposals and reports. Requires advanced analytical mathematical skills to perform statistical analysis. Requires well-developed human relations skills to make formal presentations to large and diverse audiences and facilitate group processes.
Requires the ability to accomplish departmental goals, objectives, and annual performance plans as they are assigned to the position. Requires the ability to design applied research studies for use in education and social environments. Requires the ability to analyze workload, workflow, staffing, and productivity levels. Requires the ability to apply, interpret, and draw conclusions using advanced statistical concepts. Requires the ability to facilitate the development, implementation, and evaluation of institutional selfassessment programs. Requires the ability to create, program, and maintain computerized databases. Requires the ability to extract data from information systems using various report writing and query tools. Requires the ability design and apply algorithms, simulations and business models to solve multi-variable problems. Requires the ability to understand, interpret, and apply District and State laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines governing community college operations. Requires the ability to prepare complex, reports, multi-media presentations, and empirical findings, forecasts, and recommendations to audiences with diverse backgrounds. Requires the ability to make formal presentations. Requires the ability to maintain productive and cooperative working relationships with others.
The position requires the ability to function indoors in an office environment engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires ambulatory ability to sit at a desk for extended periods of time to accomplish work and to retrieve work materials. Requires manual and finger dexterity to use a personal computer keyboard and pointing device and other common office equipment. Requires near visual acuity to write and read printed materials and computer screens. Requires speech and hearing ability to project voice to a large audience, carry on telephone conversations, hear and grasp verbal communications and equipment prompts.
Licenses and Certificates:
May require a valid driver's license.
Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Conditions of Employment:
This is a full-time, 12-calendar month classified position
Hours of employment are:
Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Initial placement of employees on Classified Salary schedule is at Step 1. After six months of successful probationary employment, employee is placed at Step 2.
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
** Please note - the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas.
Education and Experience:
The position requires a Master's Degree in a social, behavioral, educational or interdisciplinary field, plus one year of experience in instructional design, assessment, or institutional research. Alternatively the position may require a Bachelor's degree in the same areas plus 5 years of progressive experience in research and decision support.
- Familiarity and knowledge of database extraction, usage, data element dictionaries, and experience using data extraction software (e.g., SQL, Cognos)
- Familiarity with writing and revising SQL queries in PeopleSoft, SQL Server, and other structured query language environment
- Advanced research techniques and methodologies
- Proficiency applying statistical knowledge to research designs and using statistical packages (e.g., SPSS, R Studio, SAS, Stata, etc.)
- Experience designing and performing data visualizations and using data visualization software (e.g., Tableau, Power BI, etc.)
Transcripts and Foreign Degrees:
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position.
Transcripts must be from regionally accredited institutions.
A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The website address is www.naces.org.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. We are a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages approximately 22,500 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu.
Service excellence is at the core of the Institutional Effectiveness, Research, and Planning (IERP) office at Cerritos College. IERP provides timely and trustworthy data to all campus constituents at the same time it gives these stakeholders counsel in data-driven planning and decision making. IERP also serves as the nexus for municipal, state, and federal reporting for the college, relying on its analysts to ensure the integrity of reporting, understand the business processes that make up the data, and articulate the importance of those reports to the campus community.
Documents needed to apply:
Transcripts (Must show all coursework completed and conferral date of the degree)
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cerritosedu/jobs/2981765/research-analyst
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency