This ad is expired.
- Piano Accompanist - Flexible-Hour/Year-Round
- Go to our website »
Piano Accompanist - Flexible-Hour/Year-Round
Salary: $23.15 - $28.47 Hourly
Location: Districtwide, CA
Job Type: Permanent
Division: DO Personnel Commission
Job Number: 2023008
Closing: 3/30/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Contact: Personnel Commission
Phone number: 559-243-7100
Under general supervision, provides piano accompaniment for music classes, rehearsals, recitals and concerts; assists instructors in class and coaches students outside of the classroom by appointment; coordinates sheet music; may provide instrumental accompaniment on an as-needed basis; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Provides piano accompaniment for music classes including choirs, voice classes, voice lessons and opera classes.
- Provides piano accompaniment for various performances, including rehearsals.
- Illustrates different musical forms in modern dance and theory courses.
- Adapts themes to the piano from recorded music.
- Collaborates with faculty and students to help improve technique, develop musicianship, deepen artistry and work toward their longer-term goals.
- Records songs for instructors and students and posts them on the school system.
- Assists with music festivals.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of historically minoritized groups and participates in professional development activities to increase cultural competency to enhance equity-minded practices within the District.
- May assist in music selection.
- Transposes music to another key for instructor or student.
- Provides instrumental accompaniment.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Fundamentals of piano playing, music theory, harmony, rhythm, composition transition and tempo.
- Musical terms, signs and abbreviations.
- The relationship between the vocal instrument and the piano.
- A wide variety of musical styles.
- The connection between poetry/libretto and music.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Work with students effectively, diagnosing needs and finding methods to help them improve their skills and lesson understanding.
- Follow a soloist or conductor in performing musical score.
- Improvise, adapt music and memorize musical selections.
- Sight-read music and play it on the piano.
- Determine performance quality.
- Support instructors.
- Effectively engage and support historically minoritized groups by addressing issues of equity and improving culturally responsive service-oriented practices.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Operate a computer and use standard business software.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, and at least three years of experience accompanying vocal or choral groups, dancers, vocal soloists or similar musical work on piano in an organized educational, professional or similar setting; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Formal study of the piano is preferred. A bachelor's or master's degree in piano is desirable.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit; talk or hear, use hands repetitively to play the piano or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. Employees are frequently required to walk and stand; and lift up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work; work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work with frequent interruptions; work under intensive deadlines; and interact with District faculty, staff, the public and others encountered in the course of work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee generally works in a classroom or theater environment where the noise level varies from moderate to loud. The employee may be required to travel to locations other than assigned work site and to adjust to work schedule changes and requirements to work overtime.
To move forward in the selection process, you must complete an online application through our web site at http://www.schooljobs.com/careers/scccd. Please attach to your application a copy of your degree or transcripts (including when degree was awarded) or your application may be considered incomplete. Resumes may also be uploaded but cannot be used in lieu of a completed application.
ONCE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR APPLICATION YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE REVISIONS TO YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS.
When completing the application, please make sure you include ALL current and previous employment in the Work Experience section of the application and complete ALL fields, including the name and contact information for your supervisors. Experience that is included in the resume but not in the Work Experience section of the application may not be considered for the purpose of determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
All required documents must be submitted by the applicant. Personnel Commission staff will not upload your documents for you. The State Center Community College District does not accept letters of recommendation for classified positions. Please do not attempt to attach letters of recommendation to your application.
APPLICATION REVIEW AND ASSESSMENTS
The application review process includes an evaluation of training and experience based on given application information and answers to supplemental questionnaire. Only the most qualified applicants, who pass the minimum qualifications review, will be invited to the assessment process.
The assessment process will also include a performance assessment (60% weight) and an oral interview assessment (40% weight). Passing score is 75% out of 100% on each assessment section.
INITIAL ASSESSMENT TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 14, 2023 (ON-SITE)
The assessment process / assessment date is subject to change as needs dictate. All communication regarding this process will be delivered via email to the address listed on your application.
Candidates who attain a passing score on each part of the assessment will be placed in rank order on a Districtwide Open-Competitive List. Using the same process, a separate Districtwide Promotional List will be established and both Lists will be used concurrently. Unless otherwise indicated, the eligibility list will be used to fill current vacancies in this classification districtwide for at least 6 months. The current vacancy is at Clovis Community College.
PASSING THE ASSESSMENTS AND BEING PLACED ON THE ELIGIBILITY LIST DO NOT GUARANTEE AN OFFER OF EMPLOYMENTACCOMMODATIONS
Individuals with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must inform the State Center Community College District Personnel Commission Department in writing no later than the filing date stated on the announcement. Those applicants needing such accommodations should document this request including an explanation as to the type and extent of accommodation needed to participate in the selection process.
State Center Community College District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of State Center Community College District to provide all persons with equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, religion or similar factors as defined by law. We are a Title V employer.
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/scccd/jobs/3928194/piano-accompanist-flexible-hour-year-round
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-eaaedbcb5e60de4ba59000b46e07aa65