Manager, Impact Lab
Austin Community College
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a multicultural population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for populations including; first generation college students, low-income students, and students from underserved communities.
- Focused on student academic achievement and postgraduate outcomes
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Job Posting Title:
Manager, Impact Lab
Job Description Summary:
To strategize, lead, implement, and manage the Innovative Manufacturing Partnerships Accelerating Central Texas (IMPACT) Lab and associated programs at Austin Community College.
The primary focus of this role is twofold: (1) ensuring active engagement of students in alignment with relevant instructional programs, and (2) determining how the IMPACT Lab can optimally contribute to regional economic development by supporting successful and high-quality projects as a manufacturing incubator.
Key responsibilities include managing daily lab operations, providing access to quality technical training, creating lab policies and procedures, and developing strong partnerships with regional manufacturers, startup companies, and workforce development communities. Prioritizing the needs of students through innovative training, educational services, and engagement with incubator partners is required.
Description of Duties and TasksEssential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Strategically plans and directs the operational management of the IMPACT Lab in collaboration with the Advanced Manufacturing Department Chair (AMDC). Establishes and evaluates training and partnership programs to achieve established goals. Communicates regularly with the AMDC regarding all matters affecting ACC, ARMA (Austin Regional Manufacturing Association), and the Lab.
- Facilitates the development of the Vision, Mission, Goals, and Strategic Plan for the IMPACT Lab. Serves as liaison across all Austin Community College (ACC) departments in the development of the strategic, business, and operational plans for the Lab. Works to develop a business plan for the Lab's incubator operations.
- Manages the day-to-day activities and services of the Lab including, but not limited to, management of Lab equipment, Lab staff, partner companies, and instructional/training lab activities. Serves as the management liaison for Incubator Partners.
- Responsible for the development and delivery of processes and procedures for the safety and use of the IMPACT Lab; including providing training to students, faculty, partners, or other personnel in the safe and proper use of the equipment and lab facilities
- Manages the execution of partner company contracts including providing research support, determining equipment needs, and supervising faculty and students involved with those projects. Works with the AMDC and ATI to plan and execute contract research agreements.
- Monitors the Lab to ensure compliance with health and safety regulations. Promotes safe lab practices among partner companies, faculty, staff, and students. Maintains a safe and compliant workspace for partner companies, students, faculty, and other users of the Lab.
- Represent the IMPACT Lab at community events in the startup and manufacturing communities. Promotes and markets the Lab to build collaborations in the community and recruit companies to Austin. Represents the college on councils, committees, and agencies within the manufacturing industry economic sector.
- Creates and executes networking events, hands-on workshops, informal discussions, and other activities designed to promote the IMPACT Lab.
- Initiates purchase requisitions and monitors expenditures for the IMPACT lab. Maintains an inventory of equipment, software, supplies and materials.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends new hardware, software, equipment, and lab services; prepares cost estimates for budget recommendations and/or submits justifications and requests for capital outlay items in coordination with other ACC program stakeholders. Manages intersection between academic program needs and incubator business plan to ensure equity in investments and outcomes.
- Manages the installation, configuration and/or calibration of new equipment. Responsible for the development of a preventative maintenance schedule program for all applicable equipment. Performs routine maintenance and repairs as needed on applicable equipment. Oversees the arrangement of repair or maintenance services as required.
- Serves as liaison with Public Information and College Marketing in the design and promotion of public relations and marketing initiatives for the IMPACT Lab.
- Maintains a wide variety of professional contacts to remain abreast of developments in the field and to promote the visibility of the IMPACT Lab.
- Contributes to curriculum development as a result of work carried out in the Lab. Coordinates with ACC Deans and department chairs regarding faculty and student internships, work-study positions, or support positions in the Lab.
- Oversees the IMPACT Lab Advisory Board; provides training for roles and responsibilities of members; and supports the administrative needs of the board.
KnowledgeMust possess the required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Budget management.
- Curriculum design techniques and elements.
- Establishing and managing supply chain, manufacturing, warehousing, and distribution processes.
- Financial and operational knowledge and expertise.
- Principles, best practices, and trends in technical training and management.
- Project management.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Understanding of manufacturing and rapid prototyping processes.
SkillsMust possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Ability to maintain an established schedule which may include some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work with boards of directors, manage advisory boards and other governing and advising bodies.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills including use of tact and diplomacy.
- Effective supervising, leading and delegating tasks and authority.
- Effectively using leadership skills including a track record that reinforces the values of service, initiative, and collaboration.
- Effectively using project management skills.
- Effectively using written and oral communication and advocacy skills.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with diverse students, faculty, administration, community, and business leaders of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Interpretation of rule applications, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Preparation and review of statistical reports and records as required.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
- Use related laboratory equipment and software applications.
- Ability to learn new technology skills as needed.
- Use CAD/CAM equipment and software.
- Use automated financial systems.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related work experience.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Master's degree in related discipline.
- Work is performed in a variety of settings including office and laboratory.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling, and occasionally stooping, crawling, and climbing.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 50 pounds.
- Able to read chemical labels and instructions as well as use lab equipment; able to survey assigned lab spaces for safety issues.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
$64,116 - $80,145
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
February 24, 2024
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
To apply, please visit: https://austincc.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Highland-Campus/Manager--Impact-Lab_R-5492
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency