Philosophy Instructor (One-Year Temporary) Fresno City College
State Center Community College District
Campus Location: Fresno City College
Start Date: 01/28/2021
At Fresno City College we value the ability to serve students from a broad range of cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, abilities and orientations. We prioritize applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits a diverse student population brings to a community college. The successful faculty member will be an equity-minded individual committed to student success by collaborating with faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners who are also dedicated to closing equity gaps.
Fresno City College seeks faculty members who value mentorship and working in a collegial, collaborative environment, guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals. Divisions strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create inclusive, integrated, and interdisciplinary learning experiences. Fresno City College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to use, different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve. Faculty members should be open and willing to participate in culturally relevant professional development that will help them prepare for the population of students who attend Fresno City College.
The ideal candidate will share Fresno City College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of the 2019-2020 academic year, we currently enroll over 25,000 students in which 59% identify as Latinx, 12% as Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% as Black/African American, 19% as White, 1% as American Indian/Alaska Native, and 4% as multiracial. Fresno City College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
The assignment may be in a virtual setting for the duration of the temporary assignment. The instructor will be required to complete the Distance Education Certification in order to teach courses virtually,. The certification can be obtained through Fresno City College and must be completed within the first semester.
Providing instruction in Philosophy, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Teaching a full schedule of philosophy courses including ethics, critical reasoning, logic, and epistemology and metaphysics as assigned;
- Reframes inequities as a problem of practice and views the elimination of inequities as an individual and collective responsibility;
- Encourages positive race-consciousness and embraces human difference;
- Reflects on institutional and teaching practices and aims to create a culturally responsive teaching environment; and
- Strategically builds buy-in and participation among colleagues for equity-related initiatives.
- Serving on and attending department, college, and district committees as needed;
- Participating in program review, student learning outcome development and assessment to improve student learning;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom; AND
- Masters in philosophy;
- Bachelors in philosophy AND masters in humanities or religious studies;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
(NOTE: If the degrees posted on your transcript(s) do not match EXACTLY as stated above, you MUST petition for equivalency.)
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate ones instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience working with a diverse student population;
- Experience teaching ethics, critical reasoning, metaphysics and epistemology, and logic;
- Willingness to serve the department and division on campus committees;
- Commitment to continued professional development in philosophy;
- Demonstrated experience conducting online teaching;
- Knowledge of current assessment methods and materials;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and staff;
- Related work and professional experience (e.g., publications and presentations);
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Conditions of Employment:
177 duty days per year.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary is $57,750 $86,942 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,160 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview.
The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the ecommended candidates. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President for final interviews.
A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval.
State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. SCCCD EEO Plan
For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1171 Fulton St, Fresno, California, 93721, (559) 243-7100. For information on Fresno City College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. FPHIL-INS.
Submission of application and related materials is the applicants responsibility and must be submitted through the districts online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, one year temporary position. The District may fill more than one position from this pool.
State Center Community College District (SCCCD) provides students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders. When you join our team at SCCCD, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, classified staff, administration, students and community partners.
FRESNO CITY COLLEGE
About the College
As the very first community college in California, Fresno City College has a proud history of leadership in education and preparing generations of students for their future. Fresno City College is nestled near the lively Tower District and minutes from downtown Fresno, brick buildings and towering trees tell the long story of this historic institution. It is committed to academic excellence and diversity, equity and inclusion among its faculty, classified professionals, and students. The college takes responsibility for equitable outcomes and successful pathways for all students.
As Californias first community college, Fresno City College provides quality, innovative educational programs and support services directed toward the enhancement of student success, lifelong learning and the economic, social, and cultural development of our students and region.
As educational leaders in the community, Fresno City College faculty, classified professionals, and students will engage in a partnership to transform lives through education.
Growth We are committed to sharing and exploring new ideas through collaboration, respect for diversity, promoting equity, and professional development.
Leadership We are leaders in our community, dedicated to behaving ethically, committed to open communication, and good stewards of our resources.
Success We champion excellence, quality, celebrating individual differences, and providing a positive and supportive environment for all.
FCC Institutional Research Site
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency