West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 12/13/2022
The Department of Fiscal Services is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Principal Accountant. Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Under direction of the Director, Accounting, perform a variety of high-level professional accounting tasks in the analysis, maintenance and auditing of accounts affecting District-wide operations. Analyze and prepare financial statements, reports and records of revenues and expenditures. Provide accounting advice and directions to other departmental staff, communicate results of financial analysis to management and outside parties and make recommendations for appropriate action; identify problems and implement solutions; design and give direction to information services to improve the performance of computerized financial record system.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of February 2023. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), [Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit] or [Operations & Support Services Employee Unit].Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:$8,665.17-$9,483.83 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 76, Steps A-C).Benefits include:
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $45 to $225 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and
abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
- Two years of responsible accounting experience.
- Equivalent to a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting or a related field
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and process a variety of journal entries for special or bond funds, department payroll, and other assigned accounts.
- Monitor and reconcile various district accounts; work with other district staff as appropriate to resolve invalid accounts and make necessary changes.
- Prepare and analyze financial statements and reports.
- Perform trend analysis and reconciliation on various accounts; prepare adjusting journal entries as needed.
- Download, import, review, and post various charges; provide reports to college and district departments; monitor and follow-up to clear or transfer charges.
- Review and create accounting systems, processes and procedures; interpret federal, state and district regulations and guidelines and assure that accounting procedures are in compliance.
- Communicate and coordinate with district staff and departments regarding account adjustments and corrections as necessary; work with representatives of outside agencies regarding outstanding account issues as required.
- May assist and communicate with students and their families regarding financial issues including loan payments, payment arrangements, and receipt of special fund payments.
- Provide professional accounting expertise to district staff.
- Plan and implement complex accounting projects as assigned.
- Participate in year-end closing activities; compile and prepare data and information for external audits.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency